Connect with us


Built-up grease blamed for major blaze at pizza takeaway in London

BUILT-UP grease in a pizza oven is being blamed for a blaze at a kebab shop in Clapham, London in the early hours of Monday (April 11).  

Promoted Posts:

Two people were treated for smoke inhalation by the London Ambulance Service following the fire on North Street at around 3am.  

Read more from OMG!

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called and part of the ground and first floors of the building, and part of the external extraction system, were damaged by fire.  

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by hot embers coming into contact with built-up grease in the extraction system above the pizza oven. 

Paid Recommendations - Scroll To Continue Article

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "We'd like to remind restaurant and takeaway owners to ensure they don't have dirty ducting.  


“If you don't clean the ducting in your extraction system regularly, you're at a greater risk of ducting fires. 

"You should also make sure you keep the hob, cooker hood and extractor fan clean too – built up fat and grease can ignite and cause a fire. 

“We were called at 3.26am and the fire was under control by 5.05am.  


“Fire crews from Clapham, Battersea, Brixton and Lambeth fire stations attended the scene.”  


More Promoted Posts:
READ MORE:  Prime Minister Boris Johnson apologises ‘unreservedly’ for Partygate
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Sponsored Stories


OMG! on Facebook

OMG! on Twitter

Read More:

Newsletter Sign-up

Subscribe for emails from OMG!